As a follow-up to Sunday’s Message on Haggai I wanted to give some helpful tips so you you can develop some margins into your life and into your finances. Before we get there a couple of quick passages from the Old Testament on the subject of margins in our life.
When you reap the harvest of your land, moreover, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field nor gather the gleaning of your harvest; you are to leave them for the needy and the alien. I am the LORD your God. – Lev 23:22
“When you reap your harvest in your field and have forgotten a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. – Deut 24:19
So what are some strategies to build margins into your life? The first thing you should be aware of is moving to this place takes time, it took time to find your way into financial stress and it is a matter of discipline and work to pull out of it again.
- Pay for everything with Cash. Studies clearly demonstrate that people spend less money when they are paying with cash rather than a card.
- Budget Budget Budget! Get serious about your savings by working out a budget and giving every dollar a name.
- $1000 in an emergency. Start to develop an emergency savings fund that has $1000 in it. Most unexpected incidents come in right on $1000.
- For big ticket items save up the entire amount. If you want a car, save up and pay cash. If you want to go on a trip, save up and pay cash. If you want a new TV, save up and pay cash.
- Give to the Church from the 1st fruits, not the remainder. The issue with Cain and Able was both the heart and the pick of the crop, the two are connected.
As you start to build margins into your life, it’ll radically increase your ability to be generous with what God has given you. Sow and water right to the border of the field, harvest and leave a margin!